The American Dental Association recognizes several specialties. A brief description of each specialty is provided below. Additionally, we have provided some links for the various specialties for additional information.


An Endodontist takes care of you when you need a root canal. But that's not all they do, they also deal with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of a wide variety of other diseases and injuries to the pulp, which is the internal soft tissue of the tooth. For more info: Endodontist

Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

An oral surgeon diagnoses and treats disease, injuries, and defects in the mouth, jaw, and face primarily through surgical extraction and surgical reconstruction techniques. For more info: Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Oral Pathologist

An oral pathologist deals with the identification and management of diseases that affect your mouth and face. These specialists rely on clinical, radiographic, microscopic, and biochemical examinations for diagnosis. For more info: Oral Pathologist


An orthodontist typically diagnosis and treats problems primarily associated with tooth and jaw mal-alignment as well as bite problems. Orthodontist typically uses fixed and removable appliances and/or braces to establish normal function and appearance of the teeth and jaws. For more info: Orthodontist

Pediatric Dentist

A pediatric dentist specializes in providing comprehensive dental treatment to children, adolescents and young adults. For more info: Pediatric Dentist


A periodontist diagnosis and treats problems associated with the soft and hard (gums and bone) supporting tissues of the teeth. For more info: Periodontist


If you need to have a missing tooth or other oral structure replaced, your dentist may refer you to a prosthodontist. For more info: Prosthodontist

The American Dental Association has an outstanding public web site with a wealth of resources for those who desire more information.

back to public resources

Delaware State Dental Society
892 Eichele Road
Perkiomenville, PA 18074-9510
Phone: 302-368-7634